755 Greenleaf Ave and/or Remote
Date Written: March 21, 2022
Division: Casting & Molding
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL and/or Remote
Supervisor: Purchasing Manager
Shibaura Machine Company, America has been an Illinois corporation since 1975, and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shibaura Machine Co., Ltd., a premier manufacturer of a variety of high-quality industrial machinery including injection molding and die casting machines. The principal responsibility of the Purchasing Associate is to perform a variety of purchasing-related tasks in accordance with Company policy and at the direction of management.
- Timely and accurately process inventory and non-stock purchase orders through SMA’s computer system;
- Monitor inventory levels of parts and components for the parts department to anticipate and prevent shortages;
- Prepare requests for bid which provide accurate, detailed information to potential vendors about the products the company seeks to purchase;
- Seek price quotes from multiple vendors and negotiate to secure the lowest price available on goods of comparable quality;
- Place orders with adequate lead times to ensure on-time delivery of supplies;
- Monitor orders in progress to ensure items are delivered according to the timeline and specifications, and promptly notify other interested entities within SMA about delivery time changes;
- Update SMA’s computer system and purchase related reports in Excel, such as open purchase orders and parts sales backorder reports;
- Prepare all necessary audit documents related to purchases;
- Process receipt of parts, as required, for facilities without shipping & receiving resources;
- Assist with SMA parts consignment programs with vendors;
- Work with suppliers to address problems which arise;
- Work closely with the SMA parts sales department to ensure the timely and efficient shipment of parts required for spare parts orders;
- Act as principal liaison with related parties in Japan, using written and spoken Japanese language as necessary, in order to clarify potential issues, accurately answer questions, and ensure accurate purchase order processing.
Any other duties and tasks, consistent with your abilities, which may be assigned.
- Fluent in both written and spoken Japanese and English;
- At least two (2) years of experience in a purchasing role, preferably with a firm engaging in industrial machinery sales and service;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (both oral and written) and proven ability in developing and maintaining effective internal and external working relationships.
- Excellent phone and follow-up skills.
- Fully competent with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Office, with experience using large ERP software applications.
- Highly organized, with strong secretarial and writing skills, and the ability to work independently and unsupervised.
- Experience using Microsoft Dynamics AX or similar ERP software applications;
- Two years of college (or equivalent).
- General office environment.